Monday, June 30, 2014

Who loves Boston ...

Done and exhausted!
Welcome to the week! I know Mondays are sometimes not the most fun - but this is a holiday week ... so only 4 days and then it is fireworks! WHOOO!

This Monday I wanted to share my love of Beantown!

Boston Creme Pie after the race!
I first went to Boston in 2012 for my first Boston Marathon. My biggest fan (my momma) made the trek with me and we had an amazing trip.

My race time was not the best (it was the 85 degree day), but I fell in love with Boston on the trip! My mom and I took an amazing food tour and did all of the tourist things ... Cheers, Faneuil Hall, Boston Commons, Harvard, and more.


Expressing my views on the Newton Hills - thumbs down
The Boston Marathon is an incredible tradition, and after working very hard to get there - the race is even better than you can imagine (especially your first time). The whole city of Boston welcomes you and everyone seems so excited for you to run the race. And the crowd support is better than any other race - there are people along the entire course and everyone seems to genuinely want to wish you good luck. The best tradition along the course is Wellesley College! You pass Wellesley around mile 13, so it is a great time for a boost ... and it is right before the horrible Newton Hills! It is called the scream tunnel, because as you are approaching the College, all you can hear is screaming! All of the girls (it is an all girl College) are lined up screaming their hearts out and holding signs that say - "Kiss Me Because ... (and then listing a unique reason)." AND runners all go up and kiss the girls ... it is a tradition for 20 - 70 years old men and women to go kiss College girls, I love it! =) It may sound inappropriate, but you have to experience it!

About 2 years after falling in love with the city and my first Boston marathon experience, I got my current fundraising job that involves traveling to the East Coast, mostly New York City and Boston, about once a month. Thus, I have gotten to know the city and surrounding area even more ... and I am loving it even more!

I am posting this blog post now because I am currently in Boston and soaking in the views! My favorite thing to do is run along the Charles River. I did not grow up with sailing and rowing, so I find it fascinating to watch the boats on the river.

I also got the opportunity to run the Boston Marathon again this year (2014). It was such an emotional year, remembering the bombings and hearing all of the stories of those affected that are rising up and being BOSTON STRONG! I got pretty choked up turning onto Boylston Street and running hard trying to make it to the finish line!

Also, in 2014 there were about 20 runners that came from my running group in Ann Arbor, so it was so great to be able to cheer each other on through the whole process. I will post about running groups later - love them and relationships made!
Running Group Friends that kicked butt in the race!

This post is getting long - but just wanted to share my love of Beantown and tell a bit about my Boston Marathons! For those out there with the goal of qualifying and running in Boston ... keep working hard because it is so worth it!

What are some of your fitness goals? 
Momma and I at Boston 2014 Finish Line


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am not a registered dietitian (yet). My blog is simply a snapshot of my everyday life. The views I express are mine alone, based on my own experiences, and should not be taken as medical advice. Though I am a certified fitness instructor, the workouts I post may not be right for you. Please speak with a medical professional before making any changes to your current routine.