Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Who can be crafty (sometimes)...

I will begin this post by saying that this blog will not become a craft blog, because I am not really a crafty person. I like to be creative every once in a while - but it is rare. The below project is a perfect example - I got an idea, I went and bought the supplies and was all excited and crafty ... and then it took B and I about a year to actually complete the project --- craftiness comes in waves!

Saying all of that - I am pretty proud of our head board project!

B and I moved to Ann Arbor about a year ago.

This is our house in boxes...I get anxiety just looking at that picture! I hate moving, but I was very excited to start our life together and make our new place a HOME!

One of the first things I wanted to do was make a headboard for our bed. I am not sure what prompted me to want to make it, instead of buying one ... it was probably Pinterest (love/hate relationship with Pinterest).

I saw a few quilted headboards that looked amazing and easy (they always fool ya) - so I just marched to Lowes (by myself?) and got some supplies. After much trial and error and procrastination - here is our finished product.



In the right corner you will see the curtains that my very talented and very crafty mother-in-law made that matches the headboard!

Here are some of the basic, simple steps we used for the headboard in case you want to conquer your own headboard project! (I borrowed some of the pictures because when we were doing it back in the winter and I did not have a blog =)

Quilted Headboard

Cotton batting about to wrap around the board
The fabric wrapped around the batting and plywood piece
  1. Get thin, cheap plywood wood from a Lowe's and have them cut it into squares for you. I asked for 4 X 4 squares, and I knew I wanted 12, but the sheet of plywood made 16 - so I had extras! I do not remember the exact cost, but it was cheap!
  2. Go to a craft or quilt store and get something called batting. It is what they use in quilts to give it oomph (technical term). It looks like cotton balls in a big sheet. I got about the thickest batting and I got enough to be able to cover each square.
  3. I picked out about 8 different fabrics because I wanted some solids to have repeat throughout to make it less busy. I made sure I had about 5 X 5 of the fabric so that it could wrap around the plywood and batting.
  4. First, lay the batting down and wrap it around a plywood sheet and use a staple gun to secure it. 
  5. Then lay the fabric down and carefully wrap it around the plywood and batting and staple it down. It is important to pay attention to the corners and make sure they look good before you staple.
  6. Once you have all the squares prepared, it is time to put them up on the wall! We used velcro strips because it gave us wiggle room to get everything straight and tight. We just attached them to the wall square by square with the velcro. It will probably rip the paint off ... but we are ignoring that factor. 
And here is your finished product! 
What have you done "crafty" recently?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer

I am not a registered dietitian (yet). My blog is simply a snapshot of my everyday life. The views I express are mine alone, based on my own experiences, and should not be taken as medical advice. Though I am a certified fitness instructor, the workouts I post may not be right for you. Please speak with a medical professional before making any changes to your current routine.